Sunday, September 14, 2014

How Important Is the Mass?

Here is a common objection against the Tridentine (or Extraordinary Form) Mass and those who go to it: there are so many problems and needs in the Church today, including evangelization, catechesis, social justice, etc., that it doesn't make sense to place so much emphasis on and invest so much energy in the liturgy.

To be clear, this objection can come from those who have a strong prayer life and habitual devotion to God, so a pat answer about adjusting one's priorities doesn't solve it.  My question in response, though, is, "Why do we have to choose?"

Why do we have to choose between having a beautiful, solemn liturgy and having a mission to evangelize the world?  Why do we have to choose between taking part in the call to social action and being a member of a traditional parish?  In fact, do we have to choose between these extremes at all?

I wonder if, instead of listening to God's call, we're allowing stereotypical categories to pigeonhole us into the kind of Catholics we are.  We're evangelical, charismatic Catholics, so that means we needn't bother with Latin or all those small-t traditions. We're traditional Catholics, so let's forget all that social justice stuff and solidarity with the poor. We're mainstream Catholics, so let's not get too invested in any one thing. Why do we have to choose?

I hate labels. I have yet to find a case wherein labeling someone as a certain "kind" of Catholic is beneficial to the community in general. Personally, I go to an FSSP (Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter, hence Latin Mass) parish, but I don't feel the need to call myself a traditional Catholic or "traddie," and it vaguely bothers me when people categorize me in that way.

At the same time, I obviously feel a certain solidarity with the members of my parish, many of whom act in the stereotypical ways that "traddies" are supposed to act--but these are my brothers and sisters. If you're Catholic, they're your brothers and sisters too.  So you might rail against traditionalists and I might (though you'll never find me doing it) rail against praise and worship-y charismatics, but what does that achieve? Who are we helping by stereotyping our brothers and sisters in Christ?

To try to wend our way back to the main topic of this post, I hope that we can center the question of how important the Mass is in our lives squarely in our personal prayer life and our relationship with God, without reference to our brothers and sisters, who we must assume are doing their best to follow God's call in their lives.   Each person's relationship with God is unique and beautiful, and He whispers in each of our ears invitations meant for us alone.

We must be open to exploring how God wants us to worship, adore, thank, praise, and petition Him in the Mass, particularly in the Sunday liturgy.  We cannot fear the unfamiliar or set up barriers between ourselves and other Catholics next to us in the pews of whatever Mass we attend.  Rather than choosing a label, let us choose to give God the very best and trust Him to make of us what He wills.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Sylvia! I think this struggle against labels is an important part of our generation's work within the Church. I, for one, grew up shifting farther and farther down the 'conservative' list of parishes, and I feel compelled to find my own comfort zone for liturgy. As I get older, I find it more and more necessary to stretch myself in terms of charity and fellowship if I am to grow in faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Alaina! I completely agree with you about stretching yourself...that's the battle, right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you make some excellent points. Thanks to Summorum Pontificum, the bad effects of marginalization are starting to disappear, slowly but surely. I really dislike the false dichotomy that is forced on us from the outside. I do not think of myself as a "traditional" Catholic, though I do use the term sometimes for convenience. Hopefully that will no longer be necessary as time goes on. I think it would be much more appropriate for those who reject pre-1962 teachings to give themselves a qualifier. Acceptance of the Church's teachings should not have to be qualified. :-)

    One issue regarding this separation that has to be addressed though, is liturgical abuse. Without fail, what tempts me to a feeling of separation is the complete lack of concern shown by most Catholics regarding liturgical abuse--not minor things, but horrible problems. If flagrant sacrilege merits nothing aside from a yawn and a shrug from the Church at large, and even from many who would consider themselves "conservative", it is very easy to slip into temptation of a more sectarian mindset. Sacrilege should not something that only "traditional Catholics" are concerned about, yet that seems to be often the case. It is hard to articulate how demoralizing that is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great point, Emily, and I can only hope that instances of liturgical abuse and sacrilege diminish to nothing as the next generation of faithful priests fill our parishes and the older, dissenting ones retire.

    ReplyDelete