Monday, January 30, 2012

That Girl, pt. 2

How can one be a vegan and not be a crazy rabid vegan? This is the question that has arisen for me lately. I have always viewed with contempt those who make extreme changes in their diet (i.e. DAD) and then insist that everyone else should do the same--that, in fact, it is the only way to go. Nevertheless, I was recently surprised by my own reaction against this stupid Internet meme picture contrasting this woman (Gillian McKeith, about whom I actually know nothing) who apparently eats a restrictive, plant-based diet with Nigella Lawson, monger of delicious rich foods and gorgeous sexiness, and saying at the bottom, "I rest my case."

I could not restrain my ire on Facebook that anyone would actually find this a valuable argument, and I can't help but think it's because I AM eating vegan now and I am getting tired of all the, "Oh, being vegan is unhealthy because it's low in X, Y, and Z" or "Why deprive yourself?" crap I'm getting. So maybe it's more a defensive than an offensive position (and maybe, in fact, that's why so many people who eat on alternative diets seem so militant about them--the best defense is a good offense). But also: I really do feel great. Unlike every other "diet" or "fast" I've ever been on, this vegan thing really does not feel like deprivation. I haven't gotten cravings for butter, eggs, or cheese. I haven't even been tempted to cheat. This phenomenon, besides being truly remarkable, also makes it hard to relate to others who see (as I myself not so long ago saw) veganism as a tremendously difficult undertaking.

And so it probably is, unless you really want to do it yourself. I have to remember that any change anyone makes, to be effective and long-lasting, has to come from internal motivation and not from external pressure. In effect, it is as useless to provide external pressure on someone to change his diet as it is to continually pester somebody else to convert to Catholicism. Good example is the best one can hope to provide, especially a joyful and positive example. I don't have that much invested in others becoming vegan--even though I am starting to think this might last more than just a year for me--but I can't help but think it would be nice to see some friends try it and probably feel better and more whole.

I don't know. I guess I'm just writing this so that I don't become that militant vegan who sneers at animal fat consumers as the Less Enlightened. I do understand it's controversial and counter-cultural to be/eat vegan, but I'm ok with that. If it does cut down the length of the common cold (that I am currently experiencing), though, I'll be hard-pressed not to tout its benefits! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment