Monday, November 7, 2011

Rope Burn

Yesterday, while climbing, I got rope burn on the base of my right thumb. I must be doing something wrong there. Also, in my climbing partner's (!!) last climb, he was really racing up there, and I was doing my best to take in the slack quickly, but I also wasn't watching so I don't know exactly what happened when he fell. His hand was bloody at the end, so I hope it wasn't my fault for not taking enough slack and he fell farther than he should have. I kind of don't think so, though, because I definitely caught him with my brake hand as soon as he fell. It was just sort of surprising, since I wasn't watching him! He got tired. Anyway, all that to say, belaying is still marginally more nerve-racking to me than climbing. I suck pretty equally at both, but somehow I feel safer on the other end of the rope . . . oh despite the fact I forgot to tighten and double-back my harness for my very first climb! :o sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment