Thursday, October 22, 2009

Contingency

Have you ever noticed how everything is dependent on everything else? No one ever proved conclusively that risibility is an attribute of God, but the adage of Him laughing at your plans makes complete sense when you consider that He knows everything going on in every place, the thoughts in every person's mind before they are even thought, the future and the past, all in a dense, dynamic, and simple act of knowledge. Well, that's God. We, on the other hand, know nothing. It's as if we have a page of a book with small print thrust right up against our nose. If we squint and really try, we can imagine we make out a word or two. Then we say, "Aha, with this word or two, I now know the entire story written in this book. Let me now act upon it!" OK, I know not everyone thinks this way--some wise people realize how minuscule their knowledge is--but you have to admit it's a temptation. So, here in my mind are some plans. I know they are contingent, I know it's unlikely they will come to anything, but nevertheless: here they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment