Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Can't Wait

My perpetual condition is like a kid who starts counting down to Christmas in October (which is, in fact, what I did as a child).  I just can't wait!  Today I told a four-year-old, "You should find something else to do besides sit and wait for the melty beads, because if you just sit there and watch you make the other kids feel uncomfortable and it just makes the waiting seem longer and you get impatient."  Despite not quite being able to pronounce the word "impatient," the kid got the point.  Only later--now--do I realize that what I was trying to teach this child is something I myself need to learn.  I must wait.  Whether I like it or not, things will not be ready right when I want them, the light won't turn green any faster if I tap my foot, and sitting and staring and hoping for something to be ready faster only makes others uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment