Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Jewelry

A sanguine surrounded by melancholics, I alone among them have a short memory for the stings and pangs of life experiences. I hope I learn from them (and I hope I am learning from them), but I have to say with honesty that not a whole lot remains with me from past relationships. Already a face I never see has faded from my mind--not that I won't recognize it when I see it next, but it cannot haunt my dreams due to its being shoved behind other faces I see more frequently--a voice, a touch, a smell. I can observe the obliteration of these remembrances almost as it occurs. Nevertheless, one thing always stays with me from my old boyfriends: the jewelry they gave me. Trinkets! Artifacts! I keep what I like of them, and wear them now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment