Friday, September 4, 2009

Anastasia

Anastasia is my fish. When I don't have anything else in particular to do, I like to watch her frolic and zip back and forth in her fish bowl on top of my mini-fridge. I keep a close eye on her activities, because I know I need to change her water regularly. I should change it every week. Usually, however, I wait until the water looks messy at the bottom and Anastasia looks unhappy. I can tell she's unhappy because she doesn't have her usual pep in swimming around and because her color, usually a vibrant blue hue since she's a betta fish, becomes duller. Then I know I really must change the water and I do.

Today, I thought, "I should not let the water (and my fish) get to that state before doing anything about it." I realized also that this is what I do to myself, both in my spiritual life and in other ways. My goal is to keep Anastasia alive for at least a year: I got her in April and she hasn't expired yet. I should make it my goal for her to thrive, and for myself to thrive, and not just to get by doing the bare minimum.

2 comments: